Friday, December 28, 2012

Domestic Violence in PNG

Domestic violence is common practice and culturally accepted in most parts of PNG.  Sexual discrimination, harassment, and violence is not tolerated by the American and Australian companies that work here.  In my own experience, I have not seen any overt violence or discrimination against women.  However, I often wonder about what happens when my PNG colleagues return home from work. 

Do many women accept the traditional subservient role when they get back home?  Do many men mistreat their wives and female relatives?  Unfortunately, I suspect that the answer to both questions is often "yes". 

It is unlikely that I will ever find the true answers to these questions.  Most of my PNG colleagues are not very open about their private lives.  They are especially circumspect about discussing customs that Westerners consider taboo (cannibalism, wife beating, bride price, betel nut chewing, breastfeeding pigs, etc.) with expats.  However, I do occasionally get a sneak peak behind the curtain. 

One of my male PNG colleagues was recently stabbed during a domestic dispute.   His wife and her relatives are were banned from compound that he was living in.  He hasn't talked about the incident at work, but one cannot help but wonder why his wife would resort to such extreme violence...

No comments:

Post a Comment